ALEPPO, Syria, Oct. 20 – Russia on Thursday began another scheduled humanitarian pause of airstrikes — this time for 11 hours — to allow rebels and civilians to flee the devastated Syrian city of Aleppo.

Despite Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov on Wednesday declaring Russia would not extend the cessation of hostilities from 8 hours, Russia announced it would stop launching Aleppo airstrikes between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time on Thursday.

Representatives of the United Nations, the United States, Doctors Without Borders, world leaders and international humanitarian groups said 8 hours is not enough time to deliver humanitarian aid to Aleppo’s vulnerable residents.

Ryabkov previously said Assad’s enemies would “exploit the humanitarian pauses to regroup and obtain reinforcements,” which was the reason Russia initially said it would not extend the length of time.

Russia and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad‘s regime announced civilians or rebels who wish to flee the city could do so through eight designated exit corridors.

Russia, a key ally of Assad, began carrying out airstrikes in Syria in September 2015. Russia has targeted the Islamic State as well as Syrian rebels who oppose Assad’s regime. Some rebels Russia has attacked are considered moderate forces by the United States.

Since September, about 2,700 people have been killed or injured in Aleppo when the Assad’s regime surrounded the rebel-held eastern section of Aleppo and launched an attack backed by Russian airstrikes. About 250,000 civilians are trapped in Aleppo, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

“Silence is taking over Aleppo after the cease-fire announced by Assad and Putin,” the U.K.-based human rights group said in a statement.

Source link

About The Author